A Day at Vincent Massey Academy: Toddlers
- Warm greeting from our teachers
- Exchange of information between parents and our teachers
- Morning snack is offered
Morning and Afternoon Programming
- Our daily programming takes place both in the morning and the afternoon. It provides children with at least an hour of uninterrupted play and exploration. Daily programming materials are set up according to children’s interest, which fall into the following learning areas:
- Language and Literacy
- Creative Block Play
- Creative Art
- Hands on Sensory Experiences
- Dramatic Play
- Science Exploration
- Cognitive Development
- Fine and Gross Motor Skills
- Practical Life Skills
- Instill Social Skills and Cooperation
- Each learning area is set up in the classroom, allowing the child to choose which activity they would like to participate in.
- Programs are focused on supporting the emotional, physical and social needs of our students as well.
- Early literacy and numeracy is introduced through songs, stories and program activities.
- Learning circles that allow teachers to introduce new ideas, and materials through songs, stories, puppets and small group conversations.
- Real Food for Real Kids is our catering company who provides a specialized menu for our infant and toddler programs. The menu follows the Canadian Food Guide and is reviewed by a dietician. The menu has a wide variety of food types and textures.
- Our specialized infant and toddler menu, allows for children to begin independently feeding themselves. Toddlers begin to practice the steps of self serving, pouring and feeding.
- Our students eat together with their teacher in small groups. Many conversations and learning experiences are held at mealtimes.
- Our Toddler Program incorporates two hours of outdoor play into their schedule each day. Outdoor play can either be a visit to the toddler playground or going on a community walk around the neighbourhood.
- Toddler’s natural enjoyment of active play and their desire to interact with others and the environment create great opportunities for our educators to support children’s gross motor development. Our toddler playground is an area that includes equipment that encourages movement and physical development. Providing a combination of free play and planned gross motor experiences our educators plan developmentally appropriate activities which develop healthy bodies.
- Beginning in our Toddler Program, weekly physical education classes by our specialized physical education teacher are incorporated into our gross motor programming.
- Nature and planting experiences are also incorporated into outdoor programming.